4/13/2008

From bike ride...

photos from the bike ride today, oh, how gray and brown it is.

I just had to write about this, despite hunger, low blood sugar and a dizzy brain because of tiredness and emotions (but reading this posting made me smile, a little angrily too, to be honest?): A Jenny W. wrote in her blog that she gets afraid of the dark (as we say) when she reads what stands at the net, because people are talking about things and sentiments (moods) so one is astounded. Astounded not least for the cocksure (tvärsäkra) stupidity which is ruling there.

She is researcher, in genus something, and wrote about the belief on an objective science, and wonders what that is? Of course there are criteria for research (how one "does it") she writes, but you can’t take for granted (my free interpretation of what she writes) that all researchers shall read and deal with things in a similar way, have the same stance (?) to these criteria (they are different, have different things with them, and this can in the long run be beneficial for science and research my addition). Yes, long ago I read one book, say ONE, in philosophy of science during half-time studies in pedagogy at the University of Uppsala (and this was really abstract, theoretical things, we all thought it was, I sill have that book in my book shelves); I have some memories from this (or from the whole course, where it was a lot of talk about subjectivity and objectivity in research and how to deal with these things as scientist or researcher, as it probably is when one study at the University, but it wasn't quite so in higher Music studies - then at least).

She writes (my very free translation and interpretation):

“Believe me; I have unhealthily close viewed people’s attacks on research I am well acquainted with. People who don’t really know what they are talking about, because they haven’t even read what they are attacking and reacting [so strongly] against or on, not even knowing the basic [fact] terms, things that are so called verifiable. Instead they have walked their way forward like bulldozers in a remarkable confidence in themselves and their capacities, despite these have failed them enormously and in the most obvious manner. But there will always be a relatively high (??) amount of people who don’t even notice this [I don’t know if she means that they themselves don’t notice how they are behaving, or if she means that the environment won’t see these people through in their blind admiration? Or maybe both these things?]. Maybe we all have a dash of this complaint? Take a tour around the net and you will understand that it isn’t more reasonable believing in Santa Claus than believing in evil souls, so to speak.

Oh no, I shouldn’t have surfed today. For me with a solid, sterling bourgeois background this with dissension is something extremely bothersome you know, so now my mind is black and white, because once again I have to confront myself with the worst many people knows: Human beings ARE different, and we see the world differently, and it is very difficult – unfortunately, I feel now and then – getting a victory for ones own perspectives. This doesn’t mean that all is alright, but it means we will never be able to chose a victor in the fight about 'how we see things' shall be interpreted [she discusses something special here, a phenomenon here, but I thought what she writes is something general!! And you can see parallels in other areas of society, and working-life].”

Have we solved the riddle we fought about she wonders?

Or? Oh no, was it this it was about, but the fact that there are a lot of women at the Universities who shouldn’t have been there? OK, the battle will probably continue she thinks.

No, now some food here! What is it called: double toasts with a stew on shellfish and sliced tomatoes between (or the tomato as it is? But warming the tomatoes sets "lyckopen" free? :-) Hmmm... See about healthy eating here, in Swedish!)? And actually a big glass of milk to?? Not beer or tea I think. Oh, I am hungry!!!

PS. And watch Anja's posting today (in Swedish though) "homage à Sue Monk Kidd" on the similar theme as Jenny W. above.

PPS. Yes, I WAS a bit tired when I wrote this!! Have tried to change things in the text. I hope to the better a little??

Inga kommentarer: