8/04/2008

Being in the here and now…

Some silent thoughts a rainy day (the weather is really lousy)...

I read something in a forum about parents not being present mentally. This made me think… The last couple of days I have had two relatively small kids around me. A cousin’s kids. They have needed a lot of entertainment – and probably attention.

Sometimes I have my siblings’ children around too for a little longer time.

And on top I work with young people in ages ranging from 6 to 20 years since more than 30 years. Unfortunately I have no own kids… But I think I CAN live with it. Have to at least.

I have noticed how difficult in can be for me to engage in playing cards with those kids nearest me!! And to play games.

But at work I have a lot of patience, and have had always had? And thought it has been fun working with young people (mostly).

Do I get enough of this at work?

Suddenly I recalled (once again) that it was the same with my dad; he was very little interested in joining when we played games or cards!! And this made me react, I noticed this as a child.

And when we did something together: for a period we had a hobby-farm and all were engaged in the work there, the kids too. For instance in hay-harvest. Or when we did something else later, as papering the new house mom and dad had built, when we were working in the garden, when dad and mom helped when I (or a sibling) moved from one place/home to another, everything should go so quick! We worked so the till the sweat was dripping, and did what we should in no time at all. In many ways I didn’t have my dad as idol though. Could get very angry and sad at him about this.

I have adopted this style of working (so has my youngest sister, and we usually smile over this trait in us, maybe with a slight sigh) I do things very efficiently – usually!

And I don’t have the patient really to play cards or games with kids!!! Can’t really enjoy it!!!

This is a bit sad… I wish I could much more. Rushing through life?

Occupied with something else? Something unconscious or subconscious?

Mom wasn’t present either a lot of the time, very occupied with having a perfect home, perfectly fixed up, and having a lot of cute kids…

And I haven’t had time yet really to let all impressions and all I have experienced sink in. A cold telling me to slow down?

Inga kommentarer: